BLUE SPRINGS HIGH SCHOOL
▪ Residence: Boulder, Colo.
▪ Currently: Financial and research analyst at Public Media Company, a national nonprofit that does a variety of work with public media. Does financial analysis and consulting for public radio stations looking to acquire/dispose of signals or change formats. He’s also the head coach for the University of Colorado wrestling team.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Family: Single
▪ High school: Ranked 12th in a class of 526 with a 4.14 grade-point average on a 4.0 scale. Played football for two seasons but gained national recognition in wrestling. He was a three-time state champion and twice was The Star’s All-Metro wrestler of the year. Tied the Missouri state record with 52 wins in a season. He won a Greco-Roman national championship in 2003. Senior class president and member of Student Senate, National Honor Society and Chemistry Club.
▪ College: He was a highly decorated wrestler at Harvard, a three-time team captain and two-time NCAA Division I All-American. Twice wrestled in the Junior World Championships and competed in 2006 in Guatemala City and placed ninth in 2007 in Beijing. Graduated from Harvard with a bachelor’s in environmental science and public policy.
▪ Sports now: Coaches wrestling. Enjoys yoga, running, hiking, trail running, obstacle races and winter skiing.
▪ Scholar-Athlete memory: “I remember being humbled by winning it, amidst some stellar Scholar-Athletes around the Kansas City area and even within Blue Springs. The banquet was really nice and I met a lot of fantastic people, including a future classmate. But, the thing I remember most was training for the first pitch (at the Royals game) and thinking it was a really long ways off. I was happy that I got the ball to the catcher on game day.”
PREVIOUS BOYS WINNERS
1984: Danny Bellus, Washington
1985: Marlon Washington, Schlagle
1986: Brad Hinkle, Olathe South
1987: Jeff Witkop, Blue Valley North
1988: Jeff Drbohlav, Cass-Midway
1989: Tom Kreamer, SM East
1990: Shaon Fry, Oak Grove
1991: Aaron Hodges, Harmon
1992: Mike Wilson, Center
1993: Nate Minnis, Blue Springs
1994: Matt Mendlick, Olathe South
1995: Steve Fein, SM Northwest
1996: Josh Alpers, Blue Springs
1997: Brandon Wier, Olathe North
1998: Daniel Parris, Lee’s Summit North
1999: Corey Crandall, Fort Osage
2000: Tommy Hottovy, Park Hill South
2001: Jeff Durbin, Olathe South
2002: Justin Dyer, Olathe South
2003: Adam Perkins, Liberty
2004: Larry Hall, Center
2005: Louis Caputo, Blue Springs
2006: Aaron Trigg, Blue Valley West
2007: Scott O’Donnell, Oak Park
2008: Riley Reynolds, Blue Springs South
2009: Rick Settle, Olathe East
2010: Roy Wedge, Lawrence
2011: Aaron Thornburg, SM Northwest
2012: Zach Herriott, Rockhurst
2013: Nathan Butler, Leavenworth
2014: Sam Guinn, Blue Valley Northwest