The whole thing played out a bit like that same movie youve watched, oh, 10 times now. Brain-rattling noise in the beginning, talented opponent plays well enough to stay close for a while, then, blammo, a three-pointer here and an ally-oop there and No. 8 Kansas is finishing off an 83-75 win over Oklahoma and another Big 12 championship to a Rock Chalk Chant soundtrack at Allen Fieldhouse.
Votes will be counted for postseason honors in college basketball this week. Nobody wants to wait until April to identify award winners, so we vote, and selecting a player of the year in the Big 12 could prove difficult. Same with the Southeastern Conference.
- Whos a 1? Both Kansas and Wichita State can make a case as a top seed Mar 3, 3:14 PM
- Video: Blair Kerkhoff on whether Wichita State is a No. 1 seed Feb 19, 2:35 PM
- Gators running away in SEC basketball race, Wildcats don’t care Feb 18, 8:31 AM
Kansas City police on Friday identified a man shot to death in the Old Northeast area Wednesday as David E. Krantz, 32, of Kansas City.
Some people in Las Vegas expect the Chiefs to experience a slight drop-off in 2014, as Cantor Sports has set its over/under for wins at eight, according to R.J. Bell of Pregame.com.
- Everything you need to know about NFL free agency Mar 7, 2:29 PM
- Chiefs mailbag: Could Brandon Flowers move to free safety? Mar 7, 2:31 PM
- How would Devin Hester look as a Chief? Mar 6, 1:37 PM
Before Saturdays game at Tennessee, some prominent national observers still projected the Missouri Tigers in the 68-team field for the NCAA Tournament despite a disappointingly uneven run through the Southeastern Conference. Others had Missouri on the outside looking in, but a win on the Volunteers home floor might have been enough to sway some opinions. Instead, the Tigers got crushed.
- Central Missouri, Emporia State women to play for MIAA title Mar 8, 10:45 PM
- KU’s Wiggins, Florida’s Wilbekin are The Star’s top all-conference players Mar 8, 6:43 PM
- Video: Watch Iowa State students tease Marcus Smart with mass flop Mar 8, 2:54 PM
- Five things to know before Kansas-West Virginia tips off Mar 8, 10:56 AM
Save for Omar Infante, who is resting his sore right shoulder, the Royals will dispatch their regulars to Maryvalle for a Saturday afternoon game with Milwaukee.
- Royals move Wade Davis to bullpen, name James Shields as opening day starter Mar 8, 10:26 AM
- Royals release pitcher Brad Penny after he breaks non-throwing hand Mar 7, 3:44 PM
- Reports detail potential split between Ervin Santana’s agents Mar 7, 3:42 PM
Shawnee Mission West will face Blue Valley North at 7 p.m. for a state tournament bid
- Fort Osage wins third straight district championship Mar 7, 11:49 PM
- William Jewell's D'Vante Mosby named Great Lakes Valley Conference freshman of the year Mar 5, 1:13 PM
- Missouri QB Trent Hosick helps rescue men after truck flips on I-70 Mar 4, 1:23 AM
Sporting Kansas City falls 1-0 on yet another late goal by the Seattle Sounders.
- The contenders, pretenders and more: Team-by-team MLS previews Mar 7, 8:56 PM
- MatchDay 1: Seattle vs. Sporting KC Mar 7, 12:38 PM
- Sporting KC ’14 Preview: Deep group of forwards return in search of more goals Mar 7, 12:17 AM
- How to follow The Star's Sporting KC coverage Mar 6, 9:18 AM