Johnathan Williams III
▪ WHEN/WHERE: 7 p.m. Wednesday at Mizzou Arena in Columbia
▪ TV/RADIO: No TV (available online on SEC Network+ via WatchESPN); KMBZ (980 AM)
Never miss a local story.
▪ ABOUT ORAL ROBERTS (1-0): The Golden Eagles upended former Missouri coach Frank Haith’s Tulsa squad 77-68 on Saturday in its season opener. Junior Obi Emegano’s 18 second-half points powered Oral Roberts, which got beat on the boards 44-36 and allowed 19 offensive rebounds against Tulsa. Emegano and junior Korey Billbury were a combined 26 of 35 at the free-throw line.
▪ ABOUT MISSOURI (1-1): Defense led the Tigers to the first win of the Kim Anderson era Sunday, a 56-41 victory against Valparaiso. The Tigers’ opponents are shooting only 35 percent from the field on the season, but Missouri needs to find an identity on offense. MU lacks a true shooter and big-time scoring threat inside. The Tigers, as a result, are shooting only 38.9 percent and 22.5 percent from three-point range.
▪ BOTTOM LINE: Believe it or not, many people believe that Valparaiso is a better team than UMKC. Of course, Oral Roberts is probably better than Valparaiso, too. Missouri leads the all-time series 6-1, but coach Scott Sutton’s squad pulled off a 60-59 upset Dec. 9, 2009, so the Eagles know a victory is possible.
| Tod Palmer, firstname.lastname@example.org