KU’s 60-57 loss to Stanford is abrupt end for Wiggins and rest of freshman class


03/23/2014 12:21 PM

05/16/2014 12:38 PM

Andrew Wiggins, a speck of blood near his heart, spoke softly. Wayne Selden slumped against the wall. Joel Embiid sat on a bench on the far side of the room, still wearing his Kansas sweatsuit.

All across the locker room, amidst the stillness and the sadness, the Kansas Jayhawks’ freshmen sat in near silence.

Together, they had arrived on campus last summer, the most impressive collection of freshman talent in the history of the program. Six of them in all. Future lottery picks, and five-star recruits, ready to build another bridge on which Bill Self would sustain his glamour program’s run of excellence.

But this locker room inside the Scottrade Center — the jerseys still soaked in sweat, the wounds still fresh — was now the end of the road.

For Kansas, and for the freshmen, the end was a 60-57 loss to No. 10 seed Stanford on Sunday in the NCAA Tournament. For Kansas, a No. 2 seed, a season was over before the Sweet 16 for the first time since 2010.

For Wiggins, a college career was two-and-done in the NCAA tourney.

“I didn’t play like I should have played ” Wiggins said. “I blame myself for this.”

For nearly 30 minutes after the game, Wiggins sat and shouldered the burden. He finished with just four points on one-of-six shooting. He took just three shots in the second half. He was, like most of his teammates, discombobulated and flustered by Stanford’s zone defense and length in the front court.

“We didn’t play bad against the zone,” Wiggins said. “I just played bad against the zone. Wherever I went, I’d just see three Stanford bigs.”

This was how it was. Someone would ask Wiggins what went wrong, and he would point to himself.

“Today I just laid an egg,” Wiggins said. “I didn’t bring it for my team. I let a lot of people down.”

When Wiggins arrived at Kansas City International Airport last summer, some KU fans had tracked his flight and were waiting for him at the airport. His arrival on campus was unlike anything we’ve seen in Bill Self’s 11 seasons at Kansas. But Sunday’s loss brought a harsh bit of closure for a team that finished 25-10 and captured a 10th straight Big 12 title.

Sometimes, the ball doesn’t go in. Sometimes young teams fail in March.

“It’s a little bit different pressure,” said Self, who fell to 7-2 in round of 32 games. “We’re a young team, and we certainly played young.”

The Jayhawks shot just 32 percent in the first half but still led 24-22 when freshman guard Conner Frankamp drilled a pull-up three-pointer at the halftime buzzer. They led by five early in the second half before Stanford — a double-digit seed that started three juniors and two seniors — began to take control.

Sophomore forward Perry Ellis, who finished three of 10 from the floor, couldn’t finish in the lane. As a team, Kansas hit just nine of 22 on layups and dunks. And the Jayhawks were hesitant to launch from deep.

“Their length bothered us the whole game,” Self said.

Senior forward Tarik Black, who could have returned home to Memphis, Tenn., if Kansas had advanced to the South Regional, was the only player that played with the urgency of a senior, finishing with 18 points on six-of-eight shooting before fouling out with 5:25 left. Black thought his hands were straight up. The whistle still blew.

“My mind is just a complete blank,” Black said. “It’s over now. That’s all I can say.”

For Kansas, the end would come after a desperation comeback fell short. Frankamp drilled two late threes, pulling KU within 59-57 with 16 seconds left. A missed free throw by Stanford provided hope, but Frankamp’s final three-pointer barely grazed the rim.

“I knew when that left my hands,” Frankamp said. “I was off.”

For Kansas, the end was Self in the locker room, telling his players he knew how much it hurt.

“This team is never going to be together again,” Ellis said. “Every year, it’s a new team, a different team. People are going to be gone. The seniors are going to be gone. It just hurts.”

Maybe it could have been different if a few more shots would have fallen, or the stress fracture in Embiid’s back would have healed quicker. One more victory, Embiid said, and he believed he would have been able to play next week in the Sweet 16.

But here inside the Kansas locker room, one future lottery pick was still in his sweatsuit. So the other sat in a crowd of cameras, embracing the blame.

“I didn’t bring it,” Wiggins said.

“It’s not his fault,” Black said.

“That wasn’t the guy we’ve seen the majority of the year,” Self said. “A lot of it will be put on him, or me, or whoever and I guess that’s the way it should be. But the kid had a great year, but I hate that the last game he labored like this. Because he’s obviously better than what he showed today.”

For Wiggins, the end was a final scene: His one year in college was over, and a KU equipment manager quietly asked him to take the temporary NCAA patch off his jersey.

“It’s over,” Wiggins said. “There’s no more chances.”

Join the Discussion

The Kansas City Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service