The Baker and Benedictine women are each headed to the quarterfinals of the NAIA Division I basketball tournament.
Benedictine, the No. 5 seed in the Naismith Bracket, upset overall No. 1 seed Our Lady of the Lake (Texas) 71-63 in the second round on Friday at the Silverstein Eye Centers Arena in Independence. Baker, seeded sixth in the Cramer Bracket, knocked off No. 2 seed Shawnee State (Ohio) 70-56.
Benedictine will face No. 2 seed Campbellsville (Ky.) at 2 p.m Saturday. Campbellsville was the runner-up at last year’s championship.
Baker will follow at 4 p.m. against No. 4 seed Lewis-Clark State (Idaho).
Never miss a local story.
Kristen Murphy’s 24 points and 11 rebounds helped push the Ravens past Our Lady of the Lake, which had won 30 straight games coming in and finished the season 30-3.
Benedcitine, which improved to 28-6, made 11 of 30 three-point shots on Friday and has made an NAIA-leading 284 three-pointers on the season.
The Wildcats threw some serious defense at Shawnee State on Friday, holding the Bears to 26.2-percent shooting, 21.7 percent below their season average.
Jami Hodge led Baker with 22 points, while Macy Wallisch had 18 points, 10 rebounds, and six blocks for the Wildcats, who improved to 26-8.
Benedictine and Baker are two of the four teams in the women’s field from the Heart of America Athletic Conference. Central Methodist, which finished first in the conference, was knocked out in the first round Thursday. MidAmerica Nazarene, was playing in a late game in the second round Friday night against Freed-Hardeman (Tenn.).
▪ Great Falls (Mont.) a No. 5 seed, ousted top-seeded Lyon (Ark.) 60-50. Great Falls outscored Lyon 37-18 in the second half after a sluggish first half. Erin Legel made 10 of 10 free throws and finished with a game-high 17 points for Great Falls.
▪ Westmont (Calif.) was the final top seed left in the tournament, but the Warriors became the third No. 1 to lose on Friday. No. 5 seed Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) knocked of Westmont 63-59.
▪ Campbellsville (Ky.) is heading to the quarterfinals for the third straight season after beating No. 3 seed The Master’s (Calif.), 62-55. Lindsey Burd had 19 points and 16 rebounds for Campbellsville.
▪ Fourth-seeded Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) topped eighth-seeded Cumberland (Tenn.) 75-70. Brittany Tackett had 21 points and five assists for Lewis-Clark.
▪ Pikeville (Ky.), seeded sixth, upended No. 2 seed Vanguard, (Calif.) 77-57. Aundrea Matchen scored 20 points on 9-of-15 shooting for Pikeville, which will face Great Falls in the quarterfinals.