Kansas State defensive tackle Will Geary received first-team honors on the Associated Press All-Big 12 team on Wednesday.
Geary picked up the recognition after making 45 tackles, including 6 1/2 for loss, this season. He also forced and recovered a fumble while starting all 12 games for the Wildcats.
Geary, a sophomore from Topeka, led a group of four K-State players who made the team, as voted on by media that regularly cover the league.
Senior offensive lineman Cody Whitehair got second-team recognition at left tackle, junior fullback Glenn Gronkowski made the second team as a tight end and senior defensive back Morgan Burns landed on the second team as an all-purpose player.
Never miss a local story.
Whitehair was K-State’s top blocker all season and figures to play in the NFL next season. Gronkowski made five catches for 76 yards and a touchdown, while also rushing for 45 yards in 11 carries. He also threw a touchdown pass on a trick play. Burns returned four kickoffs for touchdowns.
Junior safety Fish Smithson was the only Kansas football player to make the teams. Smithson received second-team recognition after leading the Jayhawks with 111 tackles.
Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops won Coach of the Year after guiding the Sooners to a Big 12 championship and a spot in college football’s playoff. Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield won Offensive Player of the Year. Oklahoma State defensive end Emmanuel Ogbah won Defensive Player of the Year. Iowa State running back Mike Warren was named Newcomer of the Year.
Kellis Robinett: @kellisrobinett
AP All-Big 12 team
▪ Quarterback: Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma, Jr.
▪ Running backs: Samaje Perine, Oklahoma, So.; DeAndre Washington, Texas Tech, Sr.
▪ Tackles: Le'Raven Clark, Texas Tech, Sr.; Spencer Drango, Baylor, Sr.
▪ Guards: Jarell Broxton, Baylor, Sr.; Nila Kasitati, Oklahoma, Sr.
▪ Center: Joey Hunt, TCU, Sr.
▪ Receivers: Corey Coleman, Baylor, Jr.; Josh Doctson, TCU, Sr.
▪ Tight end: Mark Andrews, Oklahoma, Fr.
▪ All-purpose player: Jakeem Grant, Texas Tech, Sr.
▪ Kicker: Jaden Oberkrom, TCU, Sr.
▪ Ends: Emmanuel Ogbah, Oklahoma St., Jr.; Charles Tapper, Oklahoma, Sr.
▪ Tackles: Andrew Billings, Baylor, Jr.; Will Geary, Kansas St., So.
▪ Linebackers: Jordan Burton, Oklahoma St., Jr.; Peter Jinkens, Texas, Sr.; Eric Striker, Oklahoma, Sr.
▪ Cornerbacks: Xavien Howard, Baylor, Jr.; Zack Sanchez, Oklahoma, Jr.
▪ Safeties: Derrick Kindred, TCU, Sr.; Jordan Sterns, Oklahoma St., Jr.
▪ Punter: Nick O'Toole, West Virginia, Sr.
▪ Quarterback: Trevone Boykin, TCU, Sr.
▪ Running backs: Shock Linwood, Baylor, Jr.; Wendell Smallwood, West Virginia, Jr.
▪ Tackles: Halapoulivaati Vaitai, TCU, Sr.; Cody Whitehair, Kansas St., Sr.
▪ Guards: Brady Foltz, TCU, Sr.; Alfredo Morales, Texas Tech, Sr.
▪ Center (tie): Ty Darlington, Oklahoma, Sr., and Kyle Fuller, Baylor, Jr.
▪ Receivers: Sterling Shepard, Oklahoma, Sr.; James Washington, Oklahoma St., So.
▪ Tight end: Glenn Gronkowski, Kansas St., Jr.
▪ All-purpose player: Morgan Burns, Kansas St., Sr.
▪ Kicker: Austin Seibert, Oklahoma, Fr.
▪ Ends: Josh Carraway, TCU, Jr.; Noble Nwachukwu, West Virginia, Jr.
▪ Tackles: Kyle Rose, West Virginia, Sr.; Desmond Tucker, Iowa St., Jr.
▪ Linebackers: Dominique Alexander, Oklahoma, Jr.; Micah Awe, Texas Tech, Sr.; Nick Kwiatkoski, West Virginia, Sr.
▪ Cornerbacks: Jordan Thomas, Oklahoma, So.; Daryl Worley, West Virginia, Jr.
▪ Safeties: Steven Parker, Oklahoma, So.; Fish Smithson, Kansas, Jr.
▪ Punter: Austin Seibert, Oklahoma, Fr.
▪ Coach of the year: Bob Stoops, Oklahoma.
▪ Offensive player of the year: Baker Mayfield, QB, Jr., Oklahoma.
▪ Defensive player of the year: Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, Jr., Oklahoma St.
▪ Newcomer of the year: Mike Warren, RB, Fr., Iowa St.