The Rockhurst volleyball team lost in straight sets to Grand Valley State in the NCAA Division II Midwest Regional championship match Saturday night in Allendale, Mich.
Staley High School graduate Morgan Rietzke 12 kills and 14 digs for the Hawks, who lost 25-14, 25-16, 25-19. Anne Hellwege had 10 digs, while Whitney Kostal had 26 assists.
Rockhurst finished with a 28-5 record.
▪ Top-seeded UMKC lost in five sets to No. 5 seed Seattle in the Western Athletic Conference semifinals Friday night in Bakersfield, Calif.
The Kangaroos, 24-6, were one point away from a 2-1 lead in the third set but gave up the final four points. They rallied for a fourth-set victory but gave up the final two points in the deciding set, losing 16-14.
UMKC set school records for overall wins and also with 12 conference wins and 17 consecutive wins this season.
▪ Michael Berrequin scored two goals and the Missouri Valley men opened the NAIA national tournament with a 5-0 win at home over Judson College (Ill.) Oscar Lopez made two saves.
▪ MidAmerica Nazarene got goals from Lucas Machado and Eddie Morales and beat Bethel (Tenn.) 2-0 at home. Yann Passet made five saves.
▪ Baker lost 4-1 at Rio Grande (Ohio) despite 12 saves from Patrick Rydberg.
▪ In the women’s NAIA national tournament, Benedictine rolled to a 4-1 home win over Concordia (Neb.), behind two goals from Jordan Francescon.
▪ Ottawa lost 5-0 at Westmont, Calif., although Erin Stengel still made nine saves.
▪ Central Missouri and Grand Valley State (Mich.) will play in a Division II quarterfinal at noon Sunday in Somers, Wis., for a spot in the women’s College Cup.