William Jewell blew a 13-point lead on Saturday at Southwest Baptist.
Jewell kicker Brandon Womack made sure, though, that the Cardinals didn’t blow the game.
Womack drilled a 52-yard field goal with 1:12 to play, and the Cardinals held on for a 35-34 victory, their third straight win.
William Jewell quarterback Nick West threw for 353 yards and a touchdown. Bulla Graft caught seven passes for 123 yards and a score for the Cardinals, who improved to 3-4
Never miss a local story.
Southwest Baptist quarterback Trent Edwards threw for 331 yards and had four total touchdowns. Nathan Mourik caught seven passes for 212 yards and two touchdowns for Southwest Baptist.
Other area highlights
▪ Missouri State couldn’t generate much of anything in a 38-2 home loss to Illinois State. The Bears had 259 yards of offense and got their only points on a safety.
▪ Northwest Missouri improved to 7-0 with a 31-14 win at Pittsburg State. Bearcat quarterback Brady Bolles threw for 148 yards and two scores. Both touchdown passes went to George Sehl, who had 87 receiving yards. Pitt State quarterback Thomas LePage threw for 74 yards and a touchdown, but also four interceptions.
▪ Central Missouri came away with a 45-42 victory at Central Oklahoma. Mules quarterback Garrett Fugate passed for 239 yards and a touchdown and ran for another 178 and two scores. Jaylen Zachary caught eight passes for 105 yards for the Mules.
▪ Washburn outlasted Missouri Western 21-7 in St. Joseph, Mo. The Ichabods got 224 yards passing with two TDs from quarterback Derek McGinnis. Bryce Davis caught both of those touchdowns and finished with 101 yards on four catches. Missouri Western got 78 rushing yards from TJ LaFaver.
▪ Evan Jennings caught a 20-yard touchdown pass with 52 seconds to play, propelling Fort Hays State to a 27-24 home victory over Emporia State. Shaquill Cooper ran for 216 yards and a touchdown for Fort Hays State. Emporia State quarterback Brent Wilson threw for 247 yards and two touchdowns, but also three interceptions.
▪ Missouri Southern fell at Northeastern (Okla.) State 31-21. Will Gregory led the Lions with 142 rushing yards and a TD, and Kyle Keller threw for 172 yards and a score for Missouri Southern.
▪ Jordan Brown’s 31-yard interception return for a TD in the third quarter capped a furious Truman State comeback that ended in a 24-20 win at Saint Francis (Ill.). The Bulldogs trailed 20-0 before finishing with 24 unanswered points, including 21 in the third quarter. Andy Satulla led the way with 172 yards and two touchdowns in 31 carries for the game.
▪ Baker had no trouble dispatching Avila 42-14 at Avila. Baker quarterback Nick Marra threw for five touchdowns and 238 yards. Avila quarterback Jordan Radebaugh threw for 221 yards and a two scores.
▪ Ottawa jumped out to a 20-0 lead and didn’t look back in a 45-7 home win over Saint Mary. Ottawa running back Tanner Staats lived up to his last name, running for 201 yards and two touchdowns. Tim Morovik had 231 passing yards and three touchdowns for the Braves. Saint Mary quarterback Drew Cortez threw for 164 yards and a score.
▪ Missouri Valley held off a late charge from Central Methodist and won at home 35-33. Elliott Hawkins ran for 150 yards and a score for Missouri, while Jakari Johnson caught four passes for 111 yards.
▪ Missouri S&T won at Lincoln 40-23. Lamar Wilkes threw for 204 yards and three scores for Missouri S&T. Lincoln quarterback Owen Jordan threw for 255 yards and two touchdowns.
▪ MidAmerica Nazarene fell behind by 14 points in the first quarter but rallied for a 31-14 home win over Evangel. Javon Taylor ran for 211 yards and two touchdowns for the Pioneers, and Drake Tofi added 103 yards and a score. Nazarene ran for 369 yards.