The women’s Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletic Association basketball tournament hit Municipal Auditorium on Friday with quarterfinals games:
No. 9 seed Lindenwood 64, No. 1 Pittsburg State, 63: Jerricah Butler hit a free throw with just under 4 seconds to play and Lindenwood pulled off the upset against the tournament’s top seed and winner of the regular-season conference title in Pittsburg State. Alex Haley and Lindsay Medlen each had 15 points and three assists for Lindenwood. Mikaela Burgess scored a game-high 16 points for Pittsburg State, which had beaten Lindenwood twice during the regular season.
Lindenwood will face Central Oklahoma in Saturday’s semifinals.
No. 2 Central Missouri 76, No. 10 Southwest Baptist 61: Central Missouri really got things going in the second half. With the game tied 48-48 in the third quarter, Central Missouri went on a 26-5 run and took control of the game. Central Missouri got huge games from Ashley Duffy and Paige Redmond. Duffy had 24 points and five steals, while Redmond had 23 points, seven assists and six rebounds.
Never miss a local story.
Central Missouri will face Emporia State in the semifinals on Saturday night.
No. 3 Emporia State 78, No. 6 Fort Hays State 62: Kathryn Flott had 19 points and 15 rebounds for Emporia State, which made the most of its advantage on the offensive boards, scoring 24 second-chance points. Emporia State outrebounded Fort Hays State 49-31.
No. 5 Central Oklahoma 69, No. 4 Missouri Western 58: Jesheon Cooper scored a game-high 16 points and Olivia Mason (15 points) hit several key free throws down the stretch as Central Oklahoma closed out Missouri Western. Dwanisha Tate led Missouri Western with 15 points.
MIAA basketball tournaments
When/where: Through Sunday at Municipal Auditorium
Tickets: All seats are general admission. Each two-game session is $20 or $5 for students. An all-session pass is $65. Tickets are available at the box office or through Ticketmaster.
(3) Nebraska-Kearney 75, (6) Washburn 69
(2) Central Missouri 59, (7) Central Oklahoma 54
(1) Northwest Missouri 80, (9) Lincoln 76
(4) Missouri Southern 76, (5) Fort Hays State 67
(3) Nebraska-Kearney vs. (2) Central Missouri, noon
(1) Northwest Missouri vs. (4) Missouri Southern, about 2:30 p.m.
Semifinal winners, 1 p.m. (winner earns automatic NCAA Division II Tournament berth)
(3) Emporia State 78, (6) Fort Hays State 62
(2) Central Missouri 76, (10) Southwest Baptist 61
(9) Lindenwood 64, (1) Pittsburg State 63
(5) Central Oklahoma 69 (4) Missouri Western 58
(3) Emporia State vs. (2) Central Missouri, 6 p.m.
(9) Lindenwood vs. (5) Central Oklahoma, about 8:30 p.m.
Semifinal winners, about 3:30 p.m. (winner earns automatic NCAA Division II Tournament berth)