Washburn coach Bob Chipman’s career came to a close Thursday as the Ichabods lost 75-69 to Nebraska-Kearney in the MIAA men’s basketball quarterfinals at Municipal Auditorium.
Chipman had announced he would retire after the season. He was honored after Washburn won its first-round tournament game Tuesday in Topeka and finishes with 808 career victories, a national championship and a national runner-up finish in 38 seasons as head coach.
Third-seeded Nebraska-Kearney trailed 39-38 at halftime but went on an early 19-9 second-half run. Isaiah McKay led the Lopers with 22 points.
Washburn’s Brady Skeens had a double-double with 19 points and 10 rebounds.
Nebraska-Kearney will play Central Missouri at noon Saturday in the semifinals. The No. 2 seed Mules beat seventh-seeded Central Oklahoma 59-54 after trailing by two with fewer than 90 seconds to play.
DJ Richardson led Central Missouri with 18 points.
Northwest Missouri 80, Lincoln 76: Justin Pitts scored 30 points and had a game-high six assists as the top-seeded Bearcats survived a rally from the ninth-seeded Blue Tigers.
Chris-Ebou Ndow had 14 points and D’Vante Mosby added 11 points for Northwest Missouri, which will face Missouri Southern in the semifinals.
Jaylon Smith led the Blue Tigers with 17 points while Anthony Virdure and Richie Lewis each finished with 16 points.
MIAA basketball tournaments
When/where: Through Sunday at Municipal Auditorium
Tickets: All seats are general admission. Each two-game session is $20 or $5 for students. An all-session pass is $65. Tickets are available at the box office or through Ticketmaster.
(3) Nebraska-Kearney 75, (6) Washburn 69
(2) Central Missouri 59, (7) Central Oklahoma 54
(1) Northwest Missouri 80, (9) Lincoln 76
(4) Missouri Southern 76, (5) Fort Hays State 67
(3) Nebraska-Kearney vs. (2) Central Missouri, noon
(1) Northwest Missouri vs. (4) Missouri Southern, about 2:30 p.m.
Semifinal winners, 1 p.m. (winner earns automatic NCAA Division II Tournament berth)
(3) Emporia State vs. (6) Fort Hays State, noon
(2) Central Missouri vs. (10) Southwest Baptist, about 2:30 p.m.
(1) Pittsburg State vs. (9) Lindenwood, 6 p.m.
(4) Missouri Western vs. (5) Central Oklahoma, about 8:30 p.m.
First two quarterfinal winners, 6 p.m.
Second two quarterfinal winers, about 8:30 p.m.
Semifinal winners, about 3:30 p.m. (winner earns automatic NCAA Division II Tournament berth)