Pull the plug on KC’s bid for GOP convention
02/27/2014 10:38 AM
03/01/2014 5:47 PM
Let’s face it: Kansas City can’t win the right to host the 2016 Republican National Convention.
Sure, we’re in the final eight,as GOP officials announced Thursday.
And we’ve got a cool video, linked in that Star story.
But so what. Let’s pull the plug now and stop wasting time lobbying for the convention.
Just look who we’re up against.
• Dallas? It’s in Texas, by gawd, the self-proclaimed biggest, baddest state in the nation.
• Las Vegas? It’s just the gambling capital of America, maybe even the world.
• Denver? That city is a mile high — literally and kind of figuratively now (thanks, new marijuana law).
• Phoenix? It’s a sprawling city in warm-weather Arizona, which just proved Wednesday night that its governor at least isn’t a bigoted nut.
• Cleveland? Um, well, heck, we ought to be ranked ahead of Cleveland at least.
Same for Cincinnati and Columbus, to be honest.
So, hey, Kansas City, our new mantra: We’re #5. We’re #5.
Join the Discussion
The Kansas City Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.