Downtown Kansas City will be THE party place next week
03/08/2014 6:16 PM
03/08/2014 6:16 PM
As if losing an hour from the jump to Daylight Savings Time over the weekend isn’t bad enough, downtown Kansas City will be a tough to navigate for many sleep deprived folks next week as some streets close and people fill the area for the Phillips 66 Big 12 Men’s Basketball Championship.
People who work and live downtown can either enjoy the fun with the new crowd or grin and bear it. The following are the streets that will be closed:
• Grand Boulevard from 13th Street to Truman Road, starting at 10 a.m. Monday and then through 3 a.m. Sunday, March 16.
• 14th Street from Walnut Street to Grand Boulevard, starting at 10 a.m. Monday through 3 a.m. Sunday, March 16.
• Walnut Street from 13th to 14th streets, starting at 9 a.m. Tuesday through midnight on Sunday, March 16.
• 14th Street from Walnut to Main streets, starting at 8 a.m. Thursday through midnight Friday, March 14.
And then brace yourself for Kansas City’s Big 12 5K fun Run and Family Stroll. It will take place from 10 a.m. to about noon on March 15. Expect the following streets downtown to close then:
• 13th Street from Grand Boulevard to Oak Street.
• Oak Street from 13th to 18th streets.
• 18th Street from Oak Street to Grand Boulevard.
• Grand Boulevard from 13th and 17th streets and from 18th Street and Pershing Road.
• Pershing Road from Grand Boulevard and West Penway Street.
• West Pennway Street/Broadway from Pershing Road to 20th Street.
• 20th Street from Broadway to Southwest Boulevard.
• Southwest Boulevard from 20th Street to Wyandotte Street.
• Wyandotte Street from Southwest Boulevard to 16th Street.
• 16th Street from Wyandotte Street to Grand Boulevard.
City officials encourage drivers to allow extra time when going through downtown on these days. People who have been held up by such events in the past know to steer wide around downtown to avoid the hassles.