First more than 300,000 people in West Virginia couldn’t use the water to drink, cook, wash or shower because of a chemical spill.
Now they are being cautioned about even showering because of breathing a carcinogen left from the MCHM that polluted water supplies. A state official warned of the ongoing problem because MCHM can break down into formaldehyde.
Scott Simonton with the Environmental Quality Board told a state legislative panel about the lingering concern. Some state and water company officials disputed the claim.
It’s hard for everyday people to know what to do except keep drinking, cooking and cleaning with bottled water.