The mass shooting on Monday at the Washington Navy Yard points out a few clear trends in this country:
• Such terrible things will keep happening despite the best security and all of the “good guys with guns.”
• The news media will cover the tragedy, chronicling the loss of life, the funerals, those who were injured and others who were lucky enough to escape.
• But the media will miss the people who will wrestle for a lifetime with post-traumatic stress disorder because of what they had to endure.
• Pundits, the president and experts will wring their hands with some saying more gun control is needed and others saying more guns in the hands of more people will cure gun violence.
• Time will pass just as it has since the last mass shooting, and the one before that, and the one before that, and the one before that.
People will forget ... until it all happens all over again. It is long past time for the country to end this cycle. It is as if people are helplessly addicted to this destructive behavior.