White. Male. Conservative. Evangelical Christian. Thinks the country is going in the wrong direction and the government should do less to solve problems.
Those were among some of the identifying traits of the voters who supported Republican Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback Tuesday as he won re-election, according to a CBS News exit poll.
The exit poll, out Wednesday morning, revealed that Brownback did well among white men, voters older than 45, evangelical Christians and voters who supported the tea party.
The CBS exit survey found that 53 percent of males went with Brownback compared to 43 percent for Davis and 4 percent for Libertarian Keen Umbehr.
Never miss a local story.
In a marked difference from pre-election polling, the governor did fairly well among women.
The exit poll found Brownback getting 47 percent of women voters to 49 percent for Davis. Earlier polling found Davis drawing women voters by a much larger margin.
The poll’s findings are fairly typical of the kind of split you would expect to find in a battle between a Democrat and a conservative Republican. Consider:
▪ Eighty-seven percent of voters who said they were liberal supported supported Davis. Eighty-six percent of voters who said they were conservative supported Brownback.
▪ Sixty-four percent of those voting who said they were moderate backed Davis compared to 32 percent for Brownback.
▪ Seventy percent of those who identified themselves as evangelical Christians supported Brownback, compared to 27 percent for Davis.
▪ Sixty-one percent who thought the country was headed in the wrong direction supported the governor, compared to 33 percent for Davis.
▪ Ninety-four percent of those voted who said they strongly supported the tea party cast a ballot for Brownback, compared to 3 percent for Davis.
▪ Seventy-seven percent of those who thought government should do more to solve problems supported Davis, compared to 21 percent for Brownback.
Here is a complete look at the CBS exit survey poll.
To reach Brad Cooper, call 816-234-7724 or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.