This simple box appeared in the Aug. 12, 1903, edition of The Kansas City Star. It advertised the Nelson Gallery of Art, which was housed in the Kansas City Public Library’s building at Ninth and Locust streets.
Star founder William Rockhill Nelson established the Western Gallery of Art at the library in 1897, and the collection was made up primarily of replicas of famous pieces of art, as noted in the ad.
Nelson donated a number of the pieces to the library in 1901, and the collection was renamed the Nelson Gallery of Art. It was the precursor to the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, which opened in 1933 on the site of Nelson’s mansion, Oak Hall.