Originally published Oct. 23, 1949
This photo from The Kansas City Star’s archives showed a view from a different era. Today, its casual use of a word no longer considered appropriate pegs it to its own period as well.
Original caption: “Washington School at Independence Avenue and Cherry Street, the first Kansas City school building constructed after establishment of the public school system, as it appeared upon completion in 1867. It had four rooms, a ‘good clear bell’ in the belfry and a Negro janitor, ‘Old Shep,’ living in the basement.”