Originally published Sept. 9, 1968
When Kansas City Star founders William Rockhill Nelson and Samuel E. Morss came to Kansas City in 1880, there were already three daily newspapers in town: The afternoon Kansas City Mail, and the morning Kansas City Daily Journal and Kansas City Times.
By 1901, The Star had grown successful enough for Nelson to acquire The Times, which was rebranded as “the Morning Kansas City Star.” The original caption to this photo read:
“Ardent boosters for the opening of the Oklahoma territory, The Kansas City Times sent reporters in with the Sooners and they wrote glowing stories about the richness of the land and the mild and balmy climate. This picture was made in the Oklahoma land rush of 1889.”