A tree trimmer was electrocuted Monday outside a residence in Parkville, according authorities.
The man, whose name and age were not available, died instantly while still strapped to a tree.
Police and emergency crews responded to the home in the 6500 block of Northwest Rock Garden Road just before 9 a.m. on a medical call. It appeared the man had passed out but the call was updated moments later to a possible electrocution, said Parkville Police Chief Kevin Chrisman.
Police found him hanging partially upside down. A metal piece of the strap was touching an electrical power line, which had 7,600 volts going through it.
The tree trimmer had cut a limb that had dropped and got wedged amid other limbs. He was trying to lower himself and remove the buck strap when the metal piece touched the power line, Chrisman said. The tree was on fire and smoldering near the body when emergency crews arrived.
Crews from the KCP&L shut off the electrical power. The Kansas City Fire Department also responded to assist in removing the man from the tree.
The tree trimmer worked for a private company hired by the homeowner. The company’s name was not available Monday morning.
To reach Glenn E. Rice, call 816-234-4341 or send email to email@example.com.