Joco Opinion

Editorial: Get rid of Kansas lid on taxes

An unneeded property tax lid that the Kansas Legislature hastily passed last year was bad news for local governments, including those in Johnson County. Now state lawmakers are considering an even more restrictive bill this year.

Joco Opinion

Snarky in the Suburbs: In the retail zoo, the points octopus is spreading its tentacles

I want to live in a world where you can get your oil changed and aren’t subjected to a five minute up-sell on various fluid replacements and the granddaddy of them all — new air filters. I’m no conspiracy theorist, but I’m beginning to believe that each oil change shop has one all-purpose grimy, Darth Vader-black, air filter that they keep behind the counter to convince you that you do indeed need to spend upwards of $100 on new ones. And because I was having an annoying morning, I floated that idea to the oil change guy.

Joco Opinion

Matt Keenan: When Ireland came to the Plains: Reflections on my faith

The movie “Spotlight” was recently nominated for an Academy Award. I watched it, like I watch most movies these days, alone at the Leawood Theater in Ranch Mart Shopping Center. “Spotlight” is a movie about The Boston Globe’s Pulitzer Prize-winning stories about the priest abuse scandal in Boston. It’s both riveting and depressing.