Joco Opinion

Joco Opinion

Take a tour of county courthouse

Johnson County officials want the public to see how bad the downtown Olathe courthouse looks these days so voters in November will approve a tax increase to build a new one. That’s the thinking behind a new effort to promote tours and informational presentations about the courthouse to the public.

Joco Opinion

Warning: this column is serious!

I’ve enjoyed the privilege of writing for The Star for 16 years. That equates to roughly 350 columns. In that time, I’ve declined the temptation to offer my own perspective on whatever hot partisan topic was percolating to the surface.

Joco Opinion

Thoughts wander on car trips

I’ve spent a lot of time in my car lately driving our country’s interstates and because my 23-hour book on CD turned out to be a dud I was forced to listen to the radio and the voices in my head — both equally scary.

Joco Opinion

The troubled tale of Tulsa’s race relations

One year before President Lyndon Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act of 1964, I started kindergarten at John Burroughs Elementary School in Tulsa, Okla. I was one of two white students in Miss Walker’s morning class. This didn’t bother anyone — except for the white 7-year-old bigot who lived down the street, who told me that my school was full of … well, you know what he said.

Joco 913

Moderate GOP saves schools

Some of Johnson County’s leading school district and business officials ended up with egg on their face during last week’s special session over school funding. Ultimately, the right thing was done: The Kansas Legislature on Friday evening endorsed a plan put together and pushed by moderate Republican forces to try to constitutionally fund K-12 schools, as ordered by the state Supreme Court.

Opinion Columns & Blogs

Better late than never? Who says so?

If anyone in my family was to be late, they had better be incarcerated, dead or pregnant. Being late was not acceptable and improper for anyone in my limited world. So to make life challenging, I married into a family that didn’t agree with this rule of etiquette.

Joco Opinion

Technology gives golden years a digital dimension

The last few years, I’ve been noticing many other seniors connecting to the world via today’s technology. I see them tapping away at airports, grocery stores, parties, everywhere. It’s sweet to know my parents, too, are putting their fingers on the pulse of now.

Joco Opinion

America is better than this cultural standoff on guns

America is home to a preponderance of the best and the brightest minds in the known universe. We should be able to figure this out. The excuse that it’s just too complicated an issue or that the problem divides our country into two separate camps with no hope of compromise is just beneath us.

Videos

VP candidate Tim Kaine urges work for the Democratic ticket

U.S. Sen. Tim Kaine met Thursday with Missouri Democrats in Philadelphia. He said he hoped he could campaign in the state this fall.
VP candidate Tim Kaine urges work for the Democratic ticket 1:34

VP candidate Tim Kaine urges work for the Democratic ticket

Mother of Orlando victim: In my son’s DNA that ‘love always trumps hate' 4:56

Mother of Orlando victim: In my son’s DNA that ‘love always trumps hate'

Charleston shooting survivors​ at DNC​: ​'​Together we can heal. Together we can love​'​ 3:31

Charleston shooting survivors​ at DNC​: ​'​Together we can heal. Together we can love​'​

Joe Biden: Donald Trump is full of malarkey 3:24

Joe Biden: Donald Trump is full of malarkey