Joco Diversions

Joco Diversions

Emily Parnell: A delicate balance of self-expression

Driving into the school’s pickup lane, I searched the crowd of children for my own carpool gang. I spotted my son, laughing heartily. He wore a black heavy metal concert T-shirt — a gift from his dad. Hanging conspicuously from his shoulder was a backpack — not his own, but one I recognized as his sister’s. It was white with a bold print of purple, black and pink butterflies and flowers. My son strutted to the car, flaunting it.

Joco Diversions

Emily Parnell: I don’t want a white-wall kind of life, but it’ll do for the summer season

Walking out of the office where I work several days a week, I watched a man painting a large expanse of the stairwell a clean, warm white. The fresh paint smell greeted my nose with the promise of a blemish-free wall. He would leave no marks or grime from previous bumps and encounters, eliminating all evidence of fingerprints and spills. Rolled out before me was a clean slate — the outlook clear.

Videos

Dom Dwyer scores twice as Sporting KC routs Seattle Sounders FC

Dom Dwyer and Peter Vermes analyzed Sporting Kansas City's 3-0 win against Seattle on July 24.
Sam McDowell smcdowell@kcstar.com
Dom Dwyer scores twice as Sporting KC routs Seattle Sounders FC 1:23

Dom Dwyer scores twice as Sporting KC routs Seattle Sounders FC

Royals pitcher Edinson Volquez on his strong outing vs. the Rangers 1:18

Royals pitcher Edinson Volquez on his strong outing vs. the Rangers

Bernie Sanders supporters are restless in Philadelphia 1:44

Bernie Sanders supporters are restless in Philadelphia

Yordano Ventura assesses his injury after loss to Rangers 0:26

Yordano Ventura assesses his injury after loss to Rangers