816 North

February 7, 2014

Man in Gladstone shooting surrenders to police after school lockdown

Shots were fired near Linden West Elementary School, forcing a lockdown in which students were moved to a different area of the building. About 4:30 p.m., they were loaded onto school buses and taken to Antioch Middle School, where their parents picked them up.

An elementary school in Gladstone was locked down for several hours Friday afternoon after a report of gunshots in the area.

A man suspected of firing the shots surrendered peacefully Friday evening. He had been in a standoff with police from inside a home in the 7300 block of North Wyandotte Street, near Linden West Elementary School.

There were no reports of injuries, but the students at the school spent about three hours gathered at the far side of the building from where the shots appeared to come from. About 4:30 p.m., they were loaded onto school buses and taken to Antioch Middle School, where their parents picked them up.

Gladstone police said the first shots were reported about 1 p.m. When police arrived, they heard a second volley of three shots and called in other agencies.

Officers quickly determined the shooting did not happen at the North Kansas City district school at 7333 N. Wyandotte St.

Kansas City police, Clay County deputies, Platte County deputies, the Missouri Highway Patrol, and Riverside and North Kansas City police responded to help search the area. About 1:25 p.m., more shots were heard and were believed to be coming from a house on Wyandotte close to the school.

Police closed nearby streets while they investigated.

The man taken into custody lived at the home with his parents, who assisted police in the negotiations for his surrender shortly after 6 p.m., said Capt. Ken Buck of the Gladstone Public Safety Department.

Parents were alerted about the lockdown by email and message alerts sent by district officials.

Most children were picked up by their parents by 6:15 p.m.

North Kansas City Superintendent Todd E. White was at Antioch Middle School and reported that parents were generally satisfied with the way the district handled the situation, said Mary Jo Burton, district spokeswoman.

Burton said although the students spent the afternoon in a different part of the school from their normal classrooms, they went on with their schoolwork.

It was a different kind of day, but the teachers made every effort to make sure the kids were productive with their time and were not upset by the temporary arrangements, Burton said.

Related content



Editor's Choice Videos