Community notes for July 10
07/09/2013 12:00 AM
07/08/2013 2:14 PM
Adults over 60 are invited to bring their children and grandchildren to the Liberty Silver Center’s Family Fun Day July 25.
The day begins at 9:30 a.m. with a variety of indoor and outdoor activities such as a photo booth, a magic show, cookie walk and balloon artist. A hot dog lunch is at 11:30 a.m.
To make a reservation call816-439-4360
. The cost is $6 for adults and $4 for children before Friday or $8 and $6 after that.
The Silver Center is in the Liberty Community Center at 1600 S. Withers Road.
Senior citizens needing transportation to this event or for other needs can call the Liberty Access Bus. For more information about scheduling and fees call816-439-4397
.Platte County Fair entries
Anyone wanting to exhibit items is invited to enter them in the Platte County Fair, regardless of what county they live in.
There are 75 categories of art, crafts and foods. Only one entry fee of $8 per person will be charged. Those entering three or more items will get a season pass to the fair. There are no fees or passes for junior entries.
Entrants should bring in items and paperwork to the Platte County Fair Grounds in Tracy from noon to 4 p.m. July 21. Money and ribbons will be awarded for winners in the four age categories.
For information go towww.plattecountyfair.com
, click on entertainment and then Floral Hall.
Contact Rhoads at816-858-5139 or email@example.com
The Missy/Master contest at the Platte County Fair is open to youngsters ages 2 to 5 from Platte County.
The contest will be held at 6:30 p.m. July 24 in the Platte Purchase building on the fairgrounds. Clothing should be simple summer attire, no swimsuits.
Every child will be recognized and receive prizes. Winners will receive a trophy. Register children by July 20. There is no entry fee , but families must pay fair admission fees. Tickets are $10 each. Children 12 and under are free.
To register, mail the child’s name, age as of July 20, birth date, gender, parents’ names and phone numbers to Janet Leachman, 27 Pine View Road, Platte City, MO 64079. Print out an entry form atplattecountyfair.com. Call 816-858-5657
for information.Gladstone Fall Leagues
Gladstone Parks Recreation is accepting registrations for fall leagues of:
Youth soccer, which teaches the basics to boys and girls 5 years old through eighth grade. Practices begin Aug. 20. Fee is $45. Buddy registration available.
• Developmental youth flag football for boys and girls in first through eighth grades. Practices begin Aug. 26. Fee is $60. Buddy registration available.
• Start Smart soccer for boys and girls ages 3 to 5, which introduces the game without competition. Four sessions offered, limited to 21 children per session. Fee is $35. Registration begins July 15. Play begins Aug. 26.
• Youth Cross Country for girls and boys ages 8 to 13, a seven week program designed to teach youth about safe running and good nutrition. Meet twice a week at different parks in the area. Fee is $40.
• Competitive youth volleyball, a co-ed league for 5th to 8th graders. Skill level should be above average. Registration begins July 15. Practice begins Sept. 9. Fee is $75.
• Developmental youth volleyball, a coed league for grades 4 to 8. Fee is $60. Registration begins July 15. Practice starts Sept. 9. Buddy registration available.
Register atwww.activityreg.com or in person at Gladstone City Hall, 7010 N. Holmes or the Gladstone Community Center, 6901 N. Holmes. For a form go to www.gladstone.mo.us. For more information contact Jody Hydorn at 816-423-4087 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join the Discussion
The Kansas City Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.