A space heater caused the fire that left a 55-year-old man dead Wednesday in Kansas City.
The space heater was in a back bedroom, said Battalion Chief James Garrett of the Kansas City Fire Department. There were no working smoke detectors in the home, he said.
Firefighters responded to the home in the 7000 block of South Benton Avenue at about 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.
Nelson Hill, who lives next door, described his neighbor as a “nice guy who would do anything for you.”
Never miss a local story.
The fire department will supply and install smoke detectors for free, Garrett said. Those interested can call 816-784-9100.
Brian Burnes, firstname.lastname@example.org