A 28-year-old Kansas City man suffered severe facial burns Tuesday night when he used gasoline to start a bonfire in his backyard, police said.
Officers were sent to the residence in the 3800 block of Baltimore Avenue just after 9 p.m. on a report of an explosion.
The victim said that because of rain from the previous night, he poured gasoline on the partially lit fire. While doing so, the gasoline can blew up, shooting flames in the man’s face.
Flames covered the front of the man’s body. He tried to put out the fire by rolling on the ground but was not successful. Neighbors and family members who heard the explosion used a garden hose to put out the fire.
Never miss a local story.
A 32-year-old woman who helped the victim also suffered burns.
The victim was taken to a hospital in a private vehicle before officers arrived.
His condition was not available, police said.