Drivers in Johnson County will face delays this weekend as a major highway closes for bridge demolition.
Both directions of Interstate 35 will close at Interstate 435 beginning at 9 p.m. Friday. The highway will reopen by 5 a.m. Monday.
The work will limit northbound I-35 at 119th Street and southbound I-35 at 87th Street to one lane approaching the I-435 interchange.
Never miss a local story.
At the interchange, southbound I-35 traffic will have to exit onto westbound I-435, while northbound I-35 traffic will have to exit onto eastbound I-435.
The ramps from northbound U.S. 69 to westbound I-435 and from 87th Street to southbound I-35 will be closed during the project.
Through traffic on I-35 will detour via I-435 and U.S. 69. The detour will be marked.
There will be other overnight closures and lane restrictions. I-435 will be limited to one lane in each direction at I-35 from 10 p.m. Friday to noon Saturday.
The ramps from eastbound I-435/Kansas 10 to northbound I-35 and from northbound I-35 to 87th Street will be closed from 10 p.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday.
Kansas Department of Transportation officials are urging drivers to find alternative routes.
During the closure, crews will use hydraulic hammers to chip away and remove piers to a flyover bridge ramp.
Crews also will perform other projects in the area to prevent future closings. Those projects include:
▪ Northbound I-35 bridge over Pflumm Road: Crews will replace bridge joints and apply an epoxy polymer overlay on the surface.
▪ Southbound I-35 bridge over Pflumm Road: Traffic will be switched to the outside so work can begin on the second half of the bridge.
▪ 95th Street: A bridge utility conduit will be removed from underneath the bridge.
▪ Northbound I-35: Crews will apply the final asphalt surface on the new outside lanes between I-435 and 95th Street.
▪ Northbound and southbound I-35: Crews will switch traffic for temporary striping and barrier modifications. The work is in preparation for a 30-day lane closure beginning Monday morning.
▪ Northbound I-35: Crews will install a large overhead sign.
▪ Crews will pour concrete for a southbound I-35 to eastbound I-435 loop ramp in an area that can’t be accessed when southbound I-35 lanes are open to traffic.
The work is part of the Johnson County Phase 2 Project, which is expected to be completed by December.