An overnight fire at an Olathe apartment building has left up to 50 residents displaced from their homes. No one was injured.
Just after midnight Sunday, a caller reported a fire at The Edge of Olathe apartments, 12263 S. Strang Line Road, according the Olathe Fire Department. When firefighters arrived, the roof of a building was ablaze. It took firefighters about 90 minutes to control the fire.
Investigators believe the fire was accidental and started above an electrical panel in a third-floor apartment, spreading to the building’s attic.
Some residents thought lightning might have struck the building, but the fire department said that a location service found that the closest lightning strike was more than a mile away from the fire.
Damage to the 24-unit building was estimated at $750,000. Volunteers from the American Red Cross offered help to those affected by the fire.