The Lee’s Summit Fire Department on Friday night controlled a house fire started by fireworks.
The fire, at 800 N.E. Banner Drive, was on the deck and back side of a split-level duplex and beginning to spread to the attic and inside to a kitchen when fire fighters arrived. Smoke damage occured throughout the structure.
All of the occupants were safe outside.
Fire officials said residents of the duplex’s Unit B caused the fire by improper use of fireworks, which ignited mattresses and upholstered furniture stored under the deck.
Never miss a local story.
The Red Cross was called to help 10 occupants displaced by the fire.
Diane Stafford, firstname.lastname@example.org