KC police ID man killed in weekend house fire
05/14/2014 6:38 PM
05/14/2014 6:39 PM
Kansas City police on Wednesday identified a man killed in a Northland house fire Sunday as Charles L. Keeton, 62.
The fire was reported about 2:40 a.m. in the 3900 block of North Garfield Avenue. Investigators determined a worn extension cord sparked a fire in the kitchen that spread and filled the house with smoke, trapping Keeton.
Keeton apparently was asleep in his bedroom with the door closed and a window air-conditioning unit operating so he was not aware of the fire until it was too late, investigators said. He apparently awoke and opened his bedroom door, which likely caused a wall of heat and smoke to blast into his face. He staggered down the hall to a bathroom, where he collapsed in the tub. He died at the scene, apparently from smoke inhalation.
Keeton, who lived alone, worked for Pilot Freight Services. He is survived by his mother and five siblings.
Christine Vendel, firstname.lastname@example.org
Join the Discussion
The Kansas City Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.