Firefighters rescue 105-year-old woman from Tonganoxie house fire

05/13/2014 6:57 PM

05/13/2014 6:57 PM

Firefighters passed a 105-year-old woman through a window to safety after her Tonganoxie house caught fire early Tuesday.

The woman, who was alert, was taken to a hospital where she was treated for minor injuries.

The fire was reported about 4:45 a.m. in the 100 block of East Sixth Street. While fire crews were on their way, Tonganoxie Fire Chief David Bennett said, they got word that someone was trapped inside.

The woman’s nephew, who lives next door, told the first firefighters that he could not reach his aunt, Bennett said. Smoke and the alarm from smoke detectors had alerted the nephew.

“Her nephew could hear her screaming or calling for help, and directed us to where she had been,” Bennett said.

Firefighters battled heavy smoke and fire until they found her in a bathroom about two minutes after they arrived. They brought her to another room where they broke out a window and passed her to other firefighters outside, Bennett said.

The fire, which mostly was in the attic, burned for about 45 minutes before it was brought under control, Bennett said.

“We never want to hear that call come in, but we train for it in case it does,” Bennett said. “The training paid off this morning.”

Videos

Join the discussion

is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service