Homicide snaps a 30-day quiet spell in Kansas City

03/05/2014 11:18 AM

03/06/2014 9:38 AM

Kansas City logged two homicides this week, ending a 30-day stretch without killings.

A man’s shooting death in a parked car Tuesday snapped the streak, which was one day short of the longest stretch in the last 10 years for consecutive days without a homicide, according to data kept by The Kansas City Star. The longest stretch was recorded from June 3 to July 3 in 2007.

Prior to Tuesday, the city’s last homicide happened Feb. 1, the day Brenda Anderson’s body was found in a hotel room.

Her killing was the city’s only homicide in February, a rarity not seen for at least 23 years.

Until last month, Kansas City had experienced at least two killings every month since January 1991, the earliest month for which The Star has monthly homicide statistics.

Last year, the longest stretch Kansas City experienced without a homicide was 19 days. That happened in February too.

Kansas City police identified Tuesday’s homicide victim as Kristopher A. Washington, 24, of Olathe. He was found slumped in the driver’s seat in a secluded parking lot in an industrial area in the 8200 block of East 23rd Trafficway about 5 p.m. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The shooter is believed to have fled in a maroon SUV that apparently had a broken window in a possible shootout. Police said Washington apparently met someone in the parking lot, but they did not know why. Truck drivers near the parking lot heard the gunshots and called police.

Washington used the aliases Kristofor and Christopher Washington, police said.

Last month, Johnson County authorities moved to revoke Washington’s probation in connection with a 2013 domestic battery conviction because he tested positive for marijuana on several occasions. He also failed to complete evaluations for substance abuse and domestic violence, according to court records.

He was shot in the right elbow in Kansas City in 2011 but did not cooperate with detectives. He was arrested in 2010 for carrying a concealed weapon, and he was convicted in 2008 for aiding a felon in connection with a murder case.

More than 17 hours after Washington’s death, someone shot a man in the Northeast area. Police initially did not believe the victim’s wounds were life-threatening, but he died at a hospital.

He was shot while in the street near Norledge and North White avenues about 10:30 a.m., police said, and ran to the 300 block of Wheeling Avenue, where he collapsed.

Police did not release his name or additional information.


Join the Discussion

The Kansas City Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service