Gold medalists Meryl Davis and Charlie White head to ‘Dancing With the Stars’
04/10/2014 8:03 AM
04/10/2014 8:03 AM
How do you top an Olympic gold medal? Apparently with a cheesy mirror ball trophy. Ice dancers Meryl Davis and Charlie White, who just won gold together in Sochi, will compete against each other on Season 18 of “Dancing With the Stars.”
ABC announced 12 new competitors for its ballroom dancing competition on Tuesday’s “Good Morning America.”
Davis and White are immediate frontrunners in our book in a season that also includes Drew Carey, Billy Dee Williams, NeNe Leakes and distance swimmer Diana Nyad.
Davis, 27, will dance with Maksim Chmerkovskiy, who returns to the ballroom after taking last season off. White, 26, will partner with Sharna Burgess.
The other pairings:
• Amy Purdy, 34, a former “Amazing Race” contestant and U.S. Paralympic snowboarder who lost both legs to meningitis. Partner: Derek Hough.
• Billy Dee Williams, 76. Partner: Emma Slater.
• Candace Cameron Bure, 37, former “Full House” star. Partner: Mark Ballas.
• Danica McKellar, 39, who played Winnie Cooper on “The Wonder Years.” Partner: Valentin Chmerkovskiy.
• Cody Simpson, 17, an Australian pop art. Partner: Newcomer Witney Carson.
• Diana Nyad, 64, long-distance swimmer. Partner: Newcomer Henry Byalikov.
• Drew Carey, 55, host of “The Price is Right.” Partner: Cheryl Burke.
• James Maslow, 23, former star of Nickelodeon's “Big Time Rush.” Partner: Peta Murgatroyd.
• NeNe Leakes, 46, of “The Real Housewives of Atlanta” fame. Partner: Tony Dovolani.
• Sean Avery, 33, former NHL player. Partner: Karina Smirnoff.
Hough, who helped announce the new cast Tuesday, said that at some point during the season the competitors will switch partners.
The new season begins March 17 with Tom Bergeron and his new co-host Erin Andrews. The sports reporter replaces Brooke Burke-Charvet, who was fired.