Charges filed in Raytown killing outside school district building

02/21/2014 11:04 AM

02/21/2014 11:20 PM

A Kansas City man has been charged with first-degree murder in the killing of a man who apparently was involved in a romantic relationship with the accused man’s wife.

Falanzo Davis, 42, also was charged with armed criminal action.

The shooting, which occurred about 10:30 a.m. Thursday outside a Raytown school district building, prompted the evacuation of about 175 students. The district’s Education and Conference Center houses Success Academy, an alternative educational program. No students or staff members were injured.

Authorities identified the victim as Steven L. Jones, 30.

According to court documents, Davis told investigators he had suspected that Jones had been seeing his wife.

Earlier Thursday morning, Davis received a text message from his son saying Jones was driving him to school. That, Davis later told investigators, made him angry.

He retrieved a gun from an area pawnshop. After his son texted him that he expected to be dropped off about 10:30 a.m., Davis drove to the parking lot and waited, loading rounds into his handgun, court documents said.

When Davis saw Jones’ car arrive, he got out of his truck and ran up to Jones carrying his gun. His son got out of the back seat.

Davis said he heard his wife tell Jones, “Go, baby!”

That, Davis later said, made him even angrier.

Jones attempted to drive away but ran into a parked vehicle. At one point, Davis’ son got between Davis and his wife.

Davis turned back to the vehicle and ordered Jones out of the car. Court documents allege he opened the driver’s door, pointed the gun at Jones and fired, thinking Jones had a gun.

Davis then turned and allegedly yelled at his wife, “Look what you made me do.”

He thought he saw Jones move, the documents said, so Davis shot him again.

While being taken to Raytown police headquarters, Davis made several spontaneous remarks even after being told to wait until he had been advised of his rights, investigators said.

“Man, I ain’t never murdered anyone before,” Davis said.

After initial questioning Thursday afternoon, Davis told investigators he had been worrying that Jones was planning to take his family from him. Court documents quote him as saying he “lost it” when he heard his wife say “Go, baby.” He went back to Jones’ car a second time and fired because “I couldn’t stop myself,” he told investigators.

Officers recovered a handgun and two magazines from the top of Jones’ car.


Join the Discussion

The Kansas City Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service