Carelessly discarded cigarette, strong winds blamed for starting Overland Park house fire

01/27/2014 7:25 AM

01/27/2014 7:25 AM

A carelessly discarded cigarette and strong winds are believed to have started a late-night fire in Overland Park.

The fire was discovered just before midnight at a house in the 9600 block of W. 128th Terrace.

The first arriving firefighters reported fire around a second story window, according to a release from the Overland Park Fire Department. Fire crews extinguished the fire, which caused minor damage inside the home.

All of the occupants escaped uninjured.

Fire investigators believe a discarded cigarette caused the fire.

Because of the dry and windy conditions, fire officials are urging people to make sure their discarded cigarettes are extinguished by placing them in sand or water.

Videos

Join the discussion

is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service