Man dies from burns suffered in Overland Park house

01/11/2014 9:12 PM

01/11/2014 9:12 PM

A man pulled Saturday morning from a burning home in Overland Park has died.

Authorities have not released the man’s identity, and members of his family are asking for privacy.

Firefighters responded to the home in the 103rd block of Reeds Road just after 9 a.m. Saturday. When crews arrived, the split level home was consumed with heavy smoke. They found the victim in the family room area with critical burns.

Investigators believe the fire started after smoking materials were carelessly discarded, according to a news release from the Overland Park Fire Department. Crews did not find any working smoke alarms in the home.

Officials with the department said residents should make sure alarms are in working order. For more information on smoke alarms and fire safety, visit

www.opkansas.org

.

Laura Bauer, lbauer@kcstar.com

Videos

Join the discussion

is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service