Kansas girl who was shocked while dancing in the rain dies

01/01/2014 3:01 PM

01/02/2014 7:11 AM

A 12-year-old Salina girl who was shocked in May while dancing in the rain in downtown Salina has died in a Nebraska hospital.

The Salina Journal reports Jayden Hicks was 11 on May 29 when she was playing with friends during a thunderstorm in Campbell Plaza. She was shocked when she came into contact with the metal covers of in-ground electrical junction boxes in front of the plaza. She died Tuesday morning in Lincoln, Neb., of respiratory failure.

Her father, Jaymie Hicks, posted a Facebook message saying Jayden died at 3:56 a.m. Her aunt, Kim Queen of Inman, told KWCH-TV Jayden's death was heartbreaking, but that she wasn't suffering anymore.

In September old wiring was removed from the city-owned electrical system in the area where Jayden was shocked.

Videos

Join the Discussion

The Kansas City Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service