Haunt us with your scary KC tales — you could win prizes!
09/23/2013 4:09 PM
10/01/2013 6:15 PM
October approaches and, with it, the Halloween season. That’s right, it’s a whole season now. So let’s get in the proper demeanor with a SCARY STORY CONTEST.
You write, we’ll judge. And then we’ll print and post the winning stories. A prize of $100 will go to the winners in each of three age categories.
These can’t be just any horror stories, however. We’re looking for Kansas City-centric tales of terror. So to that end we have compiled a list of things KC. At least five of them must appear in your story. The story should be no longer than 500 words. The list and rules are below.
Now go write something terrifyingly scary, we hope, or even wacky scary or funny scary. Just don’t be mean or profane.The list
• Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts
• The Z-Man (barbecue!)
• Col. Thomas Swope (poison victim?!?)
• Kaw Point
• Andy Reid
• West Bottoms
• Bob’s ’47 Oktoberfest (beer)
• Meritites (the Nelson-Atkins mummy)
• Crazy little women
• Steamboat ArabiaThe rules
1. Include at least five items from the list. Exactly how is up to you.
2. Maximum length is 500 words.
3. To be fair to all participants, we really will verify No. 1 and No. 2.
4. Email entries firstname.lastname@example.org
. Put “Scary Story” and your age category in the subject line. Include your name, city and a phone number in case we need to contact you.
5. A panel of judges will select winners in three categories: Adults (ages 20 and above), Teens (13 to 19) and Children (12 and under).
6. Winning entries will be published around Halloween in the FYI section.
7. Prizes: $100 winner in each category.
8. Deadline for entries: Oct. 6.
Join the Discussion
The Kansas City Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.