KU to face Wake Forest in first round of tournament in Bahamas
07/29/2013 11:50 AM
07/29/2013 12:53 PM
It will be a sunny and sandy Thanksgiving for the Kansas basketball program.
The Jayhawks will open against Wake Forest in the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament, which begins on Thursday, Nov. 28 in Paradise Island, Bahamas. The bracket for the tournament, which was released Monday, also features a field that includes opening-round games of Villanova-Southern Cal, Xavier-Iowa and Tennessee-UTEP.
KU will begin the three-day tournament against Wake Forest at 2:30 p.m. Thursday. If the Jayhawks advance, they’ll play the winner of Villanova-USC at 8:30 p.m. Friday night. The championship game is scheduled for 8:30 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 30, the same day that KU is scheduled to play K-State in football. The football kickoff time has not been announced.
Wake Forest finished 13-18 last season and is coached by former Colorado coach Jeff Bzdelik, who is entering his fourth season on the job. Kansas hasn’t played the Demon Deacons since Dec. 4, 2001, a game that the Jayhawks won 83-76.
Kansas is making its first appearance in the Battle 4 Atlantis field.
NBC Sports Network and AXS TV will televise the tournament field, which boasts a combined 191 NCAA Tournament appearances, 25 Final Four appearances and five NCAA Championships.Battle 4 Atlantis first round – Thursday, Nov. 28
• Villanova vs. USC, noon (AXS TV)
• Kansas vs. Wake Forest, 2:30 p.m. (AXS TV)
• Xavier vs. Iowa, 6 p.m. (NBC Sports Network)
• Tennessee vs. UTEP, 8:30 p.m. (NBC Sports Network)Battle 4 Atlantis second round – Friday, Nov. 29
• Xavier-Iowa loser vs. Tennessee-UTEP loser, noon (AXS TV)
• Villanova-USC loser vs. KU-Wake Forest loser, 2:30 p.m. (AXS TV)
• Xavier-Iowa winner vs. Tennessee-UTEP winner, 6 p.m. (NBC Sports Network)
• Villanova-USC winner vs. KU-Wake Forest winner, 8:30 p.m. (NBC Sports Network)Battle 4 Atlantis final round – Saturday, Nov. 30
• Seventh-place game, noon (AXS TV)
• Fifth-place game, 2:30 p.m. (AXS TV)
• Third-place game, 6 p.m. (NBC Sports Network)
• Championship, 8:30 p.m. (NBC Sports Network)
Join the Discussion
The Kansas City Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.