Both directions of Interstate 35 in southern Johnson County will close Friday night for the demolition of the Homestead Lane bridge.
The highway is expected to be closed from 7 p.m. Friday through 5 p.m. Saturday.
Crews will first place a dirt bed on I-35 to protect the pavement under the bridge. Then heavy equipment will remove the bridge deck. Explosives will be used to remove the bridge columns.
In addition to the highway being closed, drivers should expect the following closures from 8 p.m. Friday thorugh 9 a.m. Saturday:
• The left lane of southbound I-35 at 175th Street.
• The left lane of northbound I-35 at Kansas 33.
• The ramp from Kansas 33 to northbound I-35.
• The ramp from Sunflower road to northbound I-35.
• The ramp from 175th Street to southbound I-35.
• The ramp from Gardner Road to southbound I-35.
Also, all lanes of I-35 between 175th Street to Kansas 33 will be closed from 9 p.m. Friday through 8 a.m. Saturday.
During the demolition, southbound I-35 traffic will be detoured along westbound U.S. 56 and then southbound on K-33 to I-35. Northbound I-35 traffic will be detoured along northbound K-33 to eastbound U.S. 56 to I-35.
On Monday, both the right lanes of I-35 in both directions will be closed beginning at 6 a.m. so work can begin on the ramps leading to the interchange.
The lanes will remain closed until mid-September.
Drivers are warned to expect delays during peak travel times