Kansas child drinks bleach at house filled with trash, human feces
07/16/2013 6:59 PM
07/16/2013 12:11 PM
Wichita police placed two young children in protective custody Monday after one of them drank bleach and emergency responders found deplorable living conditions where the children were, authorities said.
Emergency responders were called to a house shortly after 7 p.m. Monday after a 2-year-old girl drank bleach from a cup, Lt. Doug Nolte said. The cup was sitting next to a cup of drinking water.
The responders found human feces, trash, significant bug infestation and no running water in the house, so they called for police. The 2-year-old girl and her 1-year-old brother were taken into protective custody.
Seven adults live at the residence, Nolte said, but it was unclear if the parents of the children are among that group.
The 2-year-old was medically cleared by EMS, suffering “no serious injury” from the bleach, Nolte said.
The Wichita-Sedgwick County Exploited and Missing Child Unit was called into the investigation.
“The intent is to get aid to the families, not to necessarily pursue a criminal case,” Nolte said. “We want to get the situation corrected.”
Join the Discussion
The Kansas City Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.