A 61-year-old man was injured Sunday when a faulty furnace caused a gas explosion inside a Kansas City, Kan., home.
The victim was working in a utility room at 6159 Sloan Avenue when the explosion and flash fire occurred about 3:15 p.m., according to fire officials. He suffered first-degree burns to his face and second-degree burns to both arms, according to the fire department.
A woman who was in the house at the time was treated at the scene for abrasions she suffered when the sound of the explosion caused her to fall.
Damage to the house and its contents was estimated at about $23,000.