Settlement reached in explosion death of area woman

05/31/2013 5:54 PM

05/31/2013 5:54 PM

The son of a Kansas City area woman who died in a home explosion near Cheney Reservoir has reached a confidential settlement in a wrongful-death lawsuit.

The settlement approved Thursday in Reno County District Court ended a lawsuit filed after Mary Lou Hemmy’s death in October 2011. The 60-year-old Independence woman was killed when the owner of a home she was visiting turned on an electric furnace, causing an explosion and fire.

Her son, Troy Hemmy, sued Service Gas Inc., Sigg Plumbing LLC and Daniel Sigg, all of Andale, Kan. He had sought $2 million.

The terms of the settlement were not disclosed, but the defendants denied any wrongdoing.

Homeowner Melissa Settle had been having repeated problems with the pilot light on her water heater and Daniel Sigg recommended that she buy a new hot water tank, according to court documents. Gas was leaking under the foundation of the home and the pilot light problem continued with the new tank.

Sigg suggested that turning on the furnace would draw gas through the line to the hot water tank, the petition stated.

Settle, Sigg and Settle’s daughter were injured in the blast on Oct. 9, 2011.

Videos

Join the discussion

is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service