Prosecutor declines case over KC check for event that never occurred
05/23/2013 6:08 PM
05/23/2013 6:10 PM
The Jackson County prosecutor’s office has declined to file charges related to a $15,000 check from Kansas City government for a youth event that never occurred.
“At this time, the evidence does not appear to be sufficient to file criminal charges,” Prosecutor Jean Peters Baker said in a statement Thursday.
City Manager Troy Schulte said the city would now pursue other legal options to recover the funds.
The check was issued last October to Ossco Bolton and his anti-violence POSSE program. It was intended to bring Las Vegas boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. to Kansas City for a Dec. 8 youth mentoring event that did not take place.
The city sent a letter to recover the money, but Bolton never returned the funds. Bolton, who could not be reached for comment Thursday, has repeatedly argued that he should be allowed to use the money later for another event with a different headliner, but the event has not been rescheduled.
The city asked fraud detectives to investigate earlier this year, and they recently sent the case file to the prosecutor’s office for review.
In the wake of the incident, the City Council has adopted new rules to provide more scrutiny, transparency and financial accountability surrounding funding requests to the city manager.
Join the Discussion
The Kansas City Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.