Longtime St. Louis priest defrocked over sexual abuse allegation
05/09/2013 11:59 AM
05/20/2014 10:44 AM
A longtime Roman Catholic priest who served several St. Louis-area parishes has been defrocked over what the Archdiocese of St. Louis called “credible” abuse allegations.
The archdiocese said the Rev. LeRoy Valentine has been permanently removed from ministry due to abuse that occurred in the 1970s but only recently came to light. The archdiocese did not elaborate, and an archdiocesan spokeswoman did not return a message seeking comment Thursday.
The announcement of the defrocking of Valentine, 71, was first made last week in the archdiocesan newspaper. Archbishop Robert Carlson said in a statement that the abuse claims were substantiated by an independent advisory board.
“Sexual abuse of a minor is a sin and a crime,” Carlson said in the statement. “Today we pray for the healing of victims of abuse and for the safety of all children everywhere.”
Valentine's whereabouts were unknown, and no telephone listing could be found.
Valentine was ordained in 1977 and served eight parishes within the archdiocese. He has been accused before of sexual misconduct with minors, first in a 1995 lawsuit and again in 2002. The archdiocese said it found no credible evidence in either case.
Still, Valentine resigned as associate pastor of St. Thomas the Apostle parish in Florissant after the 2002 allegation and has not been involved in active ministry since.
The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, or SNAP, criticized the archdiocese for allowing Valentine to remain a priest in the years since his resignation.
“Three archbishops – Justin Rigali, Raymond Burke and Robert Carlson – evidently felt Valentine was too dangerous to work in parishes,” SNAP executive director David Clohessy said. “But for 11 years, they left Valentine free to live on his own with no supervision or monitoring at all.”
The archdiocese urged anyone with information about other potential cases of abuse to contact the archdiocese, Missouri's child abuse hotline or police.
Join the Discussion
The Kansas City Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.