Missouri revenue director resigns amid controversy over concealed-gun records

04/15/2013 6:46 PM

05/20/2014 10:42 AM

A top official in Gov. Jay Nixon’s administration abruptly resigned Monday, becoming the first person to step aside amid a controversy over the way Missouri gathers information about people with permits to carry concealed guns.

Department of Revenue Director Brian Long had been on the job for only four months. His appointment came shortly after the agency had launched a new driver’s licensing process in which clerks make electronic copies of applicants’ personal documents, such as birth certificates and concealed-gun permits.

Despite criticism from Republican lawmakers who denounced it as a potential invasion of privacy, Long had defended the process as a strong safeguard against fraud. But on Monday, Long submitted his resignation effective immediately, noting he was doing so “with great regret.”

“My brief tenure as director has taken a toll on me and my family that I could not have anticipated when I accepted the position in December 2012,” Long wrote in his resignation letter, which the governor’s office released .

Scott Holste, a spokesman for Nixon, said Long was neither asked nor encouraged to resign. Long did not immediately return a telephone message seeking comment.

The controversy began in early March, when Republicans touted a lawsuit challenging the new licensing procedure. Local licensing offices handle concealed-gun documents because they issue the necessary photo identification cards or place the concealed-carry endorsement on applicants’ driver’s licenses.

Long and other members of Nixon’s administration have said those scanned documents are kept on a state computer server and not shared with the federal government or other entities. But in a state Senate committee hearing last week, the head of the Missouri Highway Patrol said his agency had twice obtained a separate electronic list of concealed gun permit holders that was based on driver’s license information and shared that list with a fraud investigator in the Social Security Administration.

The Social Security Administration said Monday that its investigators were unable to read the encrypted disks, which were destroyed in both instances.

Videos

Join the Discussion

The Kansas City Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service