The Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce on Wednesday announced its 2013 Top 10 Small Businesses, representing a range of industries from health care to construction.
More than 1,090 companies were nominated, and 85 businesses went through the application process. Then a group of judges narrowed the list down to the top 10 companies that best demonstrated growth, sustainability, community service and employee relations.
The winners were announced at a private event at the Roasterie’s Bean Hangar Event Space. The event — presented by Intrust Bank — was part of the chamber’s 27th annual Small Business Celebration.
Small businesses make up more than 90 percent of the chamber’s membership base, and the awards help to recognize their impact on the regional economy. One of the Top 10 will be crowned the Kansas City chamber’s 2013 Small Business of the Year and receive the Mr. K award at a luncheon on May 15 at the Kansas City Convention Center.
This year’s top 10 are:
• A.L. Huber, Overland Park-based construction services company, with a focus on community service and green construction.
• Arsalon Technologies, a Lenexa company that offers hosting solutions including co-location, dedicated server, virtual server and managed services.
• Coleman Industrial Construction, a North Kansas City-based industrial general contractor specializing in the transportation industry. It provides locomotive servicing facilities to major railroads.
• Copaken Brooks, Kansas City-based commercial real estate that offers leasing, sales, investment and consulting services.
• Data Locker, Overland Park-based manufacturer of encryption solutions for governments, military and businesses around the world.
• Duracomm, Kansas City-based supplier and distributor of power supplies.
• IDD Instore Design, a Kansas City-based company that creates store fixtures and custom displays and provides services from design to fulfillment.
• Meers Advertising, a Kansas City-based full-service digital marketing/advertising agency.
• Retina Associates, a Merriam-based company that diagnoses and treats diseases of the retina, macula and vitreous.
• Technology Group Solutions, a Lenexa provider of information technology services.
Also on Wednesday, SFP (Specialty Fertilizer Products) was honored as the chamber’s “2013 Most Admired Alumnus.” The chamber honored the company with the Mr. K Award in 2011.
The chamber also is introducing new awards to the Small Business Celebration this year, including Legacy of Kansas City, Diverse Small Business of the Year and Aspirational Entrepreneur.