Victim in JJ’s explosion died of burns, autopsy says

03/29/2013 2:33 PM

05/20/2014 10:41 AM

Burns caused the death of Megan Cramer, the only fatality in last month’s explosion and fire at JJ’s restaurant, according to an autopsy report released Friday.

Before the Feb. 19 blast, Cramer, 46, was last seen standing in the middle of the restaurant, the Jackson County medical examiner said. Her body wasn’t found until the next day in the rubble of the leveled building near the corner of 48th Street and Belleview Avenue.

According to the autopsy, the cause of death was “thermal burn injury.”

An intense fire blazed after the explosion. One of the last of her co-workers to escape the building told police that he heard her cry out for help. Both she and that employee were buried under debris when a wall and the ceiling collapsed, but he managed to free himself.

Authorities say the blast occurred after a contractor hit an underground natural gas line outside the restaurant. Fumes collected inside the building and were ignited, possibly by the pilot light of a stove or water heater.

The Missouri Public Service Commission is conducting an extensive investigation that probably won’t be completed for a couple of months.


Join the discussion

is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service