House fire injures two in KCK

02/21/2013 4:48 PM

05/16/2014 9:14 PM

An unattended wood stove may have sparked a Kansas City, Kan., fire that damaged two houses Thursday afternoon.

One person was treated for smoke inhalation and a firefighter suffered knee and hip injuries while fighting the fire in the in the 1200 block of Shawnee Avenue.

When firefighters arrived on the scene just before 3 p.m. Thursday, a homeowner told them that he had just put more wood in his wood stove and went outside to move his car.

When he returned, fire was “all around the stove,” the man reported. The flames ended up causing about $30,000 in damage to that home, and about $15,000 in damage to a house next door, fire officials said.

Videos

Join the discussion

is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service