Siblings electrocuted while swimming at Lake of Ozarks

07/04/2012 12:00 AM

05/16/2014 6:55 PM

In what authorities are calling a rare situation, two Missouri children died of electrical shock Wednesday while swimming off a private dock at Lake of the Ozarks.

Nearby adults tried to quickly rescue the children but pulled back when they felt electrical current in the water, said Sgt. Paul Reinsch, spokesman for the Missouri Highway Patrol’s Troop F. After someone shut off power to the dock, the adults retrieved the children and began cardiopulmonary resuscitation, Reinsch said.

He identified the victims as Alexandra Anderson, 13, and her brother, Brayden Anderson, 8, of Ashland, Mo.

The incident happened about noon near the 6.5 mile marker in the lake’s Gravois Arm.

Authorities were investigating the source of the electrical current. The dock’s electricity powered lights and other items, including a pump that fed water down a slide the children had been using, Reinsch said.

He called the electrocutions “very unusual.”

“We have heard of occurrences of individuals shocked while in the water,” he said, “but this is very rare.”

And yet a similar incident was reported Wednesday at a Tennessee lake, he said. In that case, one boy died but another was revived after being shocked while swimming between houseboats.


Join the Discussion

The Kansas City Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service