Kansas City firefighters believe a faulty furnace is to blame for a church fire this afternoon.
Authorities said the fire at Iglesia Santa Pentecostes El Alfarero was reported about 3 p.m. near 12th Street and Belmont Avenue. The pastor smelled smoke and discovered the fire on the second floor of the church. Several people had gathered at the church for a party, but the pastor was able to get everyone out without harm.
A firefighter suffered a minor injury after debris fell and burned his back.
A preliminary report set damages at $50,000 and linked the cause to the furnace. However investigators remain at the scene.